Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Slackro

Yesterday I attended a workshop taught by Sam and Raquel of YogaSlackers. They are amazing teachers and I always learn so much from them. This workshop was different because the poses we learned were slackline-inspired acro poses. This adds a whole new level of difficulty, because for a flyer it means your base is not steady so you can't be super tight like you normally would or you will fall. As a base or a flyer you have to ebb and flow with the pose in Slackro.

Photography by Eric R. Ward


Another reason I love AcroYoga and Slackline Yoga is that I am a newbie to both and still have so much to learn about each. It allows me to work on my body awareness as well as body awareness with another person. Which leads to even bigger skills that are at the heart of this practice: COMMUNICATION and TRUST.

To be able to do anything in AcroYoga you have to communicate. This is good and difficult. Things get hard and you might be falling out of a pose over and over again. This is frustrating to everyone involved. When this happens in AcroYoga I need to apply what I do to my regular yoga practice BREATHE and NONATTACHMENT. Maybe let go of that particular pose or transition for a while, practice something I know to regain my confidence and then try again.

In AcroYoga, you have to trust in yourself and the person you are working with or you won't try anything new, because fear will take over.  Trust cannot happen without communication.

Overall, I am happy to be learning and trying new things. I am grateful for the lessons I'm learning about the practice and myself. I am overwhelmed by the kindness and support of the community.

Final Thought: I CANNOT WAIT TO GET ON MY SLACKLINE AGAIN!

No comments:

Post a Comment