Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Musings on words

Experiences lately have left me wondering if we really know and understand the power of our words. 
Words can cut. Words can heal. 
One of my favorite Radiohead songs, "Jigsaw Falling Into Place" says, "Words are a sawn off shotgun." 
Sometimes I feel blasted even by people with good intentions. I am sure I am not alone in feeling this way.

Through interactions with other humans on this journey, I have found myself clinging to their words for glimmers of hope and self-validation or feeling mortally wounded by them. I need to cling and validate myself through the words I CREATE.
Photo by Eric R. Ward
Words are my friends. I feel deeply connected to words. 

Words are my enemies. I feel deeply connected to words. 

I know my first reaction to feeling unsafe, attacked, or threatened is to unleash my words without regard for who or what will be left in their wake. But lately I have been trying to be more aware of why interactions are triggers for me before I let words attack. Sometimes I can do this well. Other times I fail miserably. I am human. I do what I can when I can.  And, I guess that is the beauty of it all, allowing myself to be human. Feel my emotions, be strong when I feel strong, and allow others to be human around me as well.

Theme of the Day: Words have power. Use them wisely and from a place of LOVE. 







No comments:

Post a Comment